What is it?
Glaucoma is a degenerative disease caused by high pressure
inside the eye (eye strain
). The eye contains a fluid that is constantly renewed, but if the drainage system fails, the intraocular pressure increases and it can damage the optic nerve. It usually has no symptoms and it can cause a loss of vision.
- Low pressure or normal pressure glaucoma. Damage int the optic nerve in people who have normal eye pressure.
- Open-angle glaucoma. High intraocular pressure in a chronic manner. It is the most frequent glaucoma.
- Angle-closure glaucoma. The fluid in the eye can not reach the angle to evacuate the eye, part of the iris blocks the angle. People with this type of glaucoma have a sudden increase in eye pressure.
- Congenital glaucoma. Children are born with a problem in the angle of the eye that delays the normal drainage of the eye fluid. These children usually have symptoms that can be easily noticed such as opaque eyes, sensitivity to light and excessive tearing.
- Other glaucomas. They may develop as a result of complications from other medical problems.
In Oftálica we successfully correct glaucoma in Alicante
Without a treatment, glaucoma can cause blindness
. It is imperative to have ophthalmological examinations
periodically for early detection. Luckily, there are different treatments to stop glaucoma or "eye strain".
- SLT laser. This laser surgery helps the eye to drain the intraocular fluid. Despite the laser, in many cases, the patient will have to continue using glaucoma medications even after it.
- Incisional surgery (also called filtering surgery) involves creating a drainage hole with the use of a small surgical tool. This new opening allows the intraocular fluid to bypass the clogged drainage canals and flow out of this new, artificial drainage canal.
- EPNP. Deep non-perforating sclerectomy. It consists of a new filtration system without opening the eye. This avoids the most frequent complications. Oftalica choose this technique permormed only for a few Glaucoma experts.