Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
is an injury or collapse in a small area of the retina called the macula. This is a light sensitive tissue that covers the back of the eye
, and is responsible of the sharpness in the central vision
The symptoms of AMD have to do with central vision problems
. The most frequent ones produce a blurred vision, dark areas or the appearance of twisted or wavy lines. DMAE rarely causes total blindness.
The disease is usually frequent after 60 years
, although after 75 the risk increases. That is why this pathology is related to age.
Types of DMAE
There are two types of Macular Degeneration associated with age:
- Dry AMD occurs when the blood vessels under the macula are aged and become thin and fragile. Most people who begin to suffer macular degeneration, begin with the dry form. The most common symptom of dry macular degeneration is having a slightly blurred vision. The DMAE has three stages: Early, intermediate and advanced.
- Wet AMD is less frequent. This is caused by the appearance of new fragile blood vessels under the macula that leak blood and fluid. It only occurs in 10% of people, but causes most of the loss of vision. One of the first signs of wet macular degeneration is that the straight lines look wavy.
The most frequent risk factors in AMD are:
- It usually occurs in people over 60 years.
- Family background.
- Be white. White people are more likely to have this disease.
- To be a woman. Women are more likely to suffer AMD than men.
- Tobacco. Important factor that can increase the risk.
- High fat diet.
Macular degeneration is evident during an examination of the fundus, which consists of observing the eye with the aid of an apparatus provided with a magnifying glass or a biomicroscope, after dilating the pupil with an eye drop. Scanning the fundus of the eye can be completed with retinal angiography.
This exploration involves taking photographs of the fundus before and after the injection of a product intended to accentuate the contrast between the vessels supplying the retina and neighboring structures. Injection of contrast agent is painless, but may cause nausea or vomiting.
We are experts in correcting macular degeneration in Alicante
Ophthalic treats Macular Degeneration by:
- Photodynamic Therapy with Visudyne. This technique is based on the administration of the sustainable drug that accumulates in the neovascular tissue of the retina. Then a laser closes the new vessels preventing vision loss.
- Using antiangiogenics. These are indicated for treatment of a subtype-independent AMD.